First-of-its kind sunliquid® plant for celullosic ethanol production
The sunliquid® technology is an innovative, breakthrough technology made in Bavaria. The technological challenges have been solved, and the next step to allow broad implementation is commercial scale production.
The SUNLIQUID consortium aims to confirm the technical and economic benefits of the large-scale production of cellulosic ethanol from agricultural residues in Europe. This, in turn, will contribute to a more sustainable energy system in Europe and help to achieve the EU Commission´s goals in terms of greenhouse gas emission savings.
These goals should be achieved through the following milestones:
- Building and operating a first-of-its kind, large scale cellulosic ethanol production plant based on Clariant’s sunliquid® process
- Market replication and deployment based on the technical and commercial experience in this plant
These milestones shall be achieved in the frame of the FP7 SUNLIQUID and BBI LIGNOFLAG projects. The SUNLIQUID project focuses on the processes and technology required to convert biomass into lignocellulosic sugars. It covers the analysis of feedstock availability as well as the logistics required to bring the lignocellulosic raw material to the production plant. The BBI LIGNOFLAG project focuses on the conversion of lignocellulosic sugars to cellulosic ethanol as well as on the distribution of the product and co-products. Together, these EU projects cover the entire value chain:
- Sourcing and securing feedstock supply to the sunliquid® plant for cellulosic ethanol production. A “Feedstock Supply System” is being developed, to ensure that the needed feedstock is delivered to the plant in the right quantity, quality and at the right time.
- Design, construction and commissioning of the plant, as well as training of qualified staff
- Testing and distributing the bioethanol produced in the plant, including the development of sales and marketing models
- Life cycle analysis to obtain a full-scale assessment of the product´s sustainability over the entire value chain
- Information campaigns to promote public acceptance of cellulosic ethanol